Why I do what I do

I name things.

I've given names to phones, consulting companies, meat, software, semiconductor makers, wireless services, hearing aids, soy bars, Indian hotels, healthcare companies, pens, wines, Korean gasoline, security technology, ice cream, restaurants, next-gen energy companies, magazines, urban scavenger hunts, chipsets, bands, biotech companies, and on and on. In my 20 year career working independently and at agencies like Landor and Lexicon, I've brought over 100 new brand names into the world.

But why?

It's because our world is overrun by brands. There is almost no place to go that is entirely brand-free.

As I see it, if we're going to have brand names foisted on us everywhere we turn, shouldn't they at least be brand names that we don't mind having around?

That's what motivates and inspires me: The opportunity to change our surroundings in a small but positive way by giving things names that people like.