Post impressionism

The New York Post holds a special place in my heart. As a child growing up in Manhattan, I loved reading their funny and often outrageous headlines as I walked to the bus stop in the morning. The Post would just scream from the shelves of my local newsstand. Their headlines could not be ignored.

A recent blog article by Stanley Fish celebrates headlines from the sometimes-lowbrow Post. He illustrates the depth, nuances and allusions that a handful of words can deliver.

I revere the art of headline writing. Great headlines are stripped of anything superfluous. They must grab people by the throat and command their attention. The best headlines elicit an emotional reaction that sells papers.

Great brand names act as headlines. They are minimal. They have stopping power. And the best of them trigger an emotional response that sells.